Feline Focus Month is Back!
Save 20% off your cat's medical services in April!
We are pleased to announce our certification by the American Association of Feline Practitioners as a Cat Friendly Practice! At Broadway Animal Hospital, we take extra steps to ensure your cat’s visit is as low-stress as possible.
Research shows that almost twice as many cats than dogs NEVER visit the veterinarian. One of the main reasons for lack of cat visits is stress.
- 58% of cat owners report that their cat hates going to the veterinarian.
- 38% of pet owners say the stress of transporting their pet to the veterinarian, along with the cat’s reluctance to enter a new and unfamiliar environment, causes anxiety for both cats and owners.
That’s why Broadway Animal Hospital implemented the Cat Friendly Practice Program. As a CFP designated clinic, our veterinary staff incorporates cat-friendly features into the physical layout of the practice, as well as the way in which we deliver medical care. Here are some examples:
- Designating a special waiting area for cats in our lobby area.
- Adding a separate cat entrance, allowing cat owners to bypass the busy lobby area and easily enter our cat-only exam room.
- We utilize a special product, called Feliway, which is a synthetic feline pheromone that is clinically proven to help ease anxiety in cats. When a cat feels comfortable in their environment, they rub their cheeks against objects leaving a facial pheromone. Feliway is a synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone used by cats to mark their territory as safe and secure. We use this product throughout our facility, including our cat-only exam room, cat boarding room, and medical ward. We also sell Feliway diffusers, wipes, and spray bottles in our retail area and recommend them for any stressful time in your cat’s life including changes at home related to moving, construction, additions or deaths in the family, etc.
- We recommend that you bring in an item from home with a familiar scent for your cat’s visit. Generally, cats do not easily adjust to change. It is common for cats to stress when they are relocated and when there are changes to their household. By using a familiar item from home, we are helping to reduce the anxiety and stress of your cat’s visit. For cats staying with us overnight, we recommend that you bring several items in airtight containers. Worn t-shirts work great! Check your clothes hamper for items that haven’t been washed. We can then release your scent throughout your cat’s stay.
- All cats should be brought to us in a carrier. This is for your cat’s safety as well as your own. We are feet away from a busy highway, and dogs are frequent guests in our lobby. If you need a carrier, we can sell you a cardboard carrier for $3. We can also provide you with a sample Feliway wipe to use on your carrier before your pet’s arrival. If you are looking to purchase a more durable carrier, we highly recommend a hard-sided carrier that contains two doors- one on the top, and one on the side. Below is an example of an ideal carrier for your cat. It contains both a top and side door, and easy turning mechanisms on the sides (vs. screws) to secure the top to bottom. This is very helpful for fearful cats that wish to remain in their carrier during the exam because it allows us to remove and replace the lid quickly and easily.